Wednesday, May 9, 2012

on my soapbox talking about fat brides.

I'm sorry I have to be serious for minute:
Have you heard about the feeding tube diet? [if not, click me]

This story actually made me sick, and really upset. Like probably a lot more upset than it made you. I'm not sure when  the ultimate goal for brides was to look perfect on their wedding day instead of to be married to the love of their life. Brides-to-be everywhere are starving themselves, giving themselves skin cancer, mentally torturing themselves, AND EVEN GETTING PLASTIC SURGERY, so that they can attempt to achieve the impossible standard of perfection on their wedding day. When I hear stories about this going on, all I can think about is their soon to be husbands. Is he cool with this? Did he really only fall in love with what he thought she could be on their wedding day?

Here's the thing about me, on my wedding day, I was the fattest I have ever been in my entire life. But here's a fun fact, I was also the happiest I've ever been and I felt pretty. Isn't that weird? I was so excited to be married to best/coolest/cutest/sweetest/most fun man that I've ever known that I didn't even care about my double chin. Can you even imagine?!

I have no qualms with wanting to look and feel beautiful on your wedding day. But when you put that above all else (even your health) it just seems like it might be time to re-evaluate your priorities. Not to mention, if the fact that someone loves you enough to want to be MARRIED to you FOREVER, doesn't make you feel beautiful, then I highly doubt a feeding tube will.


Large and in charge and in love.

3 comments:

bonniesherwood said...

Wonderful post! I feel very much the same. I was far from the perfect bride but I was blissfully happy and still am. It goes right along with the other aesthetics of wedding plans where we tend to plan so much for that perfect day (I mean we all want to look nice and have it look nice, but I think we all know the extremes I'm talking about) but plan so little for the entire span of the marriage. One day we will learn, and it is through reminders such as these. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

The Carmel House said...

Amen sister!

Ashley Case said...

Um, yeah. Have you seen Bridalplasty? It's ridiculous. I have to admit I did watch the whole season. But still, ridiculous.